Monday, October 3, 2011

Gotham Steakhouse

Flowerbunny also took me out to Gotham Steakhouse for dinner my birthday!  Joe Fortes and Gotham in one day?  I am pretty lucky :)  

We were greeted and seated immediately.  The decor felt classic but not out-dated, with high ceilings adding to the overall opulence.  While Gotham has been a Vancouver mainstay for many years, this was my first time going, and I was very excited to try the food.

We had a couple of friends with us, and one of them ordered the Oysters Rockefeller.  I did not try this as I'm not a big oyster fan, but I was told that they were good, though average.

Flowerbunny had the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail.  In this case, the jumbo adjective was well used, as these shrimp were huge!  They were very fresh and quite good.

I wanted something light for my appetizer, as my main course was going to be substantial, so I ordered the Spinach Salad.  It had bacon, mushrooms, hard cooked egg, and a honey dijon dressing, and was pretty good, but nothing mind blowing.
For her main course, Flowerbunny had the Petite Filet.  It was melt-in-your-mouth tender, and really tasty.  It was cooked to a perfect medium rare.  I think this was either 8 or 10oz compared to the regular filet at 14oz.  Either way, she couldn't finish it so there were leftovers!

Wanting to compare Gotham to a steak restaurant called Porterhouse that I went to in NYC, I decided to order the same dish I had there: the Porterhouse Steak.  I think this was 24oz.  This was probably the best steak I've had in the lower mainland although I'll tip my hat to the one I had in NYC as being superior.  Gotham cooked my porterhouse perfectly.  The filet portion was super tender, and the strip loin had a ton of flavour.  This ended up being too much for me though, and for the first time in awhile, I took some to go.
At Gotham everything is A la carte, so you have to order your sides separately.  We ordered 4 sides to split between the 4 of us.  

The Thick-Cut Beer Battered Onion Rings might look a little dark, but they tasted great.  The ratio of batter to onion was maybe a little higher than I would've liked, but the flavour was definitely there.
The Mashed Potatoes had raw garlic minced in with them, and I found that to be a bit strong, but everyone else really liked it.  I think if they'd used roasted garlic, it would've smoothed out the bite that raw garlic has and would've resulted in a better dish.

















The Spiced Sauteed Mushrooms were nicely cooked and well seasoned.  A very good complement to the steaks.





And last but not least, the Fresh Asparagus.  It was well cooked and worked well to help balance out all of the heavy flavours in the other dishes, but was fairly unremarkable on its own.

Overall Impressions: While it's not a restaurant you'd want to go to very often because of the prices, Gotham delivers what is probably the best steak I've had in Vancouver, and is definitely worth it for special occasions.  The service was top notch as well.

Gotham Steakhouse
615 Seymour Street
Vancouver, BC
604.605.8282
Gotham Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. ahaha, I also went to Gotham for my birthday dinner. I agree with the service, it was amazing! And the jumbo shrimp cocktail matched its name, it was huge! Seems like a good dinner, Happy Birthday! :P You should try their desserts next time, they are excellent (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt a little embarassed snapping pictures in here.. much too fancy, I had to wait until no one was watching aha...great food looks like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi KayCe, thanks for commenting! We would've normally had dessert, but sadly we were all too full this time. I have no doubt they are amazing though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter - there have definitely been occasions where we've felt embarrassed about taking photos, but I think most restaurants have become used to it so we try to ignore the feeling and just go for it :)

    ReplyDelete