Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Joe Fortes - Brunch

Flowerbunny decided to take me out to Joe Fortes for brunch on my birthday, which was definitely a welcome surprise.  Joe Fortes has been a Vancouver staple for awhile now, with great high ceilings and the wooden decor gives it a very warm feel. 

When we arrived, we were greeted and taken to a table immediately.  However, the table they chose had the sun shining right in my eyes, so after a request, they moved us without hassle.  

We started off with a couple of drinks.  Flowerbunny had a coffee, and I had a mixture of (I think) orange juice, ginger ale, and mango juice.  I can't remember exactly.  But it was really nice and refreshing.
Then they brought out some complimentary bread with lobster oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping.  The lobster oil was a surprise but was really good, especially with the vinegar.  I noticed that they had bottles of it for sale on their menu for $25, and we enjoyed it so much that we bought one for a friend of ours!



There was a Dungeoness Crab Benedict with tomato salad on special when we went, so Flowerbunny got that.  It was quite good and had lots of crab.  They used a bearnaise sauce instead of hollandaise, and the tarragon added a nice extra complement to the crab.  Joe Fortes doesn't really season their potatoes which is unfortunate, but they are cooked well at least and can be used to mop up extra sauce.







I had Joe's Signature Benedict which has wild mushrooms, crisp proscuitto, and a truffle sage hollandaise sauce.  I may be a bit biased here because I'm a sucker for truffles, but this was amazingly good.  The proscuitto, mushrooms, and truffle hollandaise all complemented each other so well. The eggs were perfectly cooked.  The only downside was the under seasoned potatoes as mentioned above.  I also added a side of sausage which was delicious, very meaty and flavourful with a nice snap to it.





Overall Impressions: Joe Fortes may be my new go to brunch place now that DB Bistro is no more.  Definitely try the signature benedict.  Great ambience, service, and food.  What more could you want?

Joe Fortes
777 Thurlow Street
Vancouver, BC
604.669.1940
http://www.joefortes.ca/
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment