Tuesday, December 28, 2010

DB Bistro (Dinner) & True Confections

For my birthday dinner, I decided to go to DB Bistro for dinner and then to True Confections for dessert! I decided on DB because it is my favourite restaurant and the food there is always good! The one down side in going in a large group is that they charge a 20% gratuity for groups larger than 8... I had about 11 people in my party, so the 20% was automatically added on. The service was good and attentive so paying the 20% wasn't so bad.

For my dinner, the table that was reserved for my group was the table tucked away in the corner right by the wine racks. It was a nice spot that was semi separated from the rest of the dining area. After everyone arrived, we ordered some drinks and looked through the menu.

Cocktails Menu



Left: Red Wine - Genache/Syrah, Cotes du Rhone, Delas, Rhone, France, 2008
I really liked the wine. It was smooth and had a nice flavour.


Right: Apricot Fairy - Gin, Apricot Liqueur, Noilly Prat, Lemon, Absinthe
I tried a bit of my friend's cocktail and it was really good! Tasted like apricot candy :)

Before our appetizers arrived, the restaurant gave us 2 complimentary Tartes Flambées (Crisp Artisan Flat Bread) for the table to share.


Wild Mushroom Tartes Flambée

I really liked the mushrooms on the tartes flambée! They were really well seasoned and tasty! The bread was thin and crispy. A little bit burnt on the edges, but it was still good.


Smoked Bacon and Onion Tartes Flambée

I didn't get a chance to try this one. But my boyfriend did! He thought that this was okay... He preferred the Wild Mushroom one over this one. But he did say he would eat it again! The food here is just that tasty!


Appetizers
I ordered Escargots & Chicken Oyster Fricassée and my boyfriend and a few of my friends ordered the Caesar Salad. 

Caesar Salad
Spiced Pork Belly, Avocado, Poached Egg

The Caesar Salad at DB isn't like any other Caesar I've seen. It's served with pork belly, avocado and a poached egg! The whole combination was really good! My boyfriend liked the salad but he would like a little bit more of an anchovy taste since anchovy and Caesar Salads go hand in hand.


Escargots & Chicken Oyster Fricassée
Hazelnut Spaetzle, Button Mushrooms

(Fricassée: Usually a stew made from sautée/stewed meat which is often chicken)
(Spaetzle: "Little Sparrow" in German. A pasta made from eggs, flour & salt and usually cut into small pieces)

I really love this dish here at DB!! I always order it when I come for dinner here. The combinations in this dish is amazing. The first time I tried this, I couldn't stop eating this! I normally don't eat escargots, but it's so tasty! The chicken had crispy skin and the spaetzle is sooo good.


Entrées

Fruits de mer
Clams, Mussels, Shrimp

If you like shellfish, then this dish is something to try! It is "fruits of the sea". The shellfish in this dish was cooked in white wine and it also comes with toasted baguette to soak up the broth. I really enjoyed this dish.


Peace River Lamb Shank
Mushroom Gnocchi, Autumn Vegetables à la Parisienne, Honeycrisp Apple, Madeira Jus

My boyfriend ordered the lamb shank. He really liked it. The meat was tender and the honey apples were a nice touch. The mushroom gnocchi was light and the mushrooms were tasty.


Cassoulet
Tarbais Beans, Crispy Rillon, Pork Belly, Duck Leg Confit

My friend who was sitting next to me ordered the cassoulet. It looked really good and the duck skin looked really crispy and good. She looked like she enjoyed her food :)

We all finished our entrées and we were debating whether to eat dessert at the restaurant or go elsewhere. We decided to go to True Confections nearby. When we asked our waitress for separate bills, her face soured a bit and she didn't look especially happy about having to do that. She told us that it would take her 10 minutes and we said it was fine and that we would wait. After about 10 minutes or so, we finally got our bills, paid and left for True Confections.

Overall Impressions: I love it here at DB Bistro! I love it so much that I had my birthday here again this year! Last year was brunch at DB, this year was dinner! The food is always good! I think I may have converted a few of my friends to love this place just as much as I do :)

DB Bistro Moderne Restaurant
2551 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC
Phone: 604.739.7115
DB Bistro Moderne on Urbanspoon


True Confections

When were were at DB, we called ahead to see if they have room for 8 people. They told us that they did and we would need to get there in 20 minutes if we were to have a spot. Since True Confections was nearby, it didn't take us long to get there.

There were soooo many desserts at True Confections! Anything you could think of I think they have! Cakes, pies, cheesecake, tartes, trifles... a lot of selection!

Left half of the dessert display


Right half of the dessert display


I ordered an Earl Grey Tea and decided to share the Hazelnut Mousse with my friend since my boyfriend didn't feel like sharing his dessert that night :P My boyfriend decided to have the Black and White Cake.

Earl Grey Tea (Mighty Leaf)

Hazelnut Mousse
A thin layer of chocolate cake piled with rich chocolate hazelnut mousse

The mousse was creamy and it had a slight hint of hazelnut. It tasted like eating a Hedgehog Chocolate. It was really good! There was also a thin layer of chocolate cake which was nice.

Black and White Cake
Chocolate cake, White Cake, Vanilla Creme... And a lot of other chocolate-y goodness
My boyfriend can't remember what was exactly in this cake and I can't seem to find a description of it online...

The Black and White Cake was a bit sweet. My boyfriend found it to be too sweet for him. When I tried a bit, it wasn't that sweet to me. I think this cake is meant to be shared!

Fresh Fruit Cheesecake

My friends where were sitting across from me ordered the Fresh Fruit Cheesecake. They thought the cheesecake was okay after tasting the other desserts we had ordered. They preferred the chocolate desserts over the cheesecake.

Overall Impressions: There is a lot of selection for desserts at True Confections. But their desserts are a bit pricey. It's about $10.75 for a slice of cake and about another $3 for tea/coffee. If you share with another person, then it's not so hard on the wallet. The desserts are pretty average, a bit on the sweet side. There isn't really anything special about these desserts.

True Confections
3701 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC
604.222.8489
True Confections (Broadway) on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment