Friday, December 17, 2010

Viet Sub & Beard Papa's

With only $7 in my pocket, I didn't know what I could eat for lunch... and finding a place where I can buy lunch for less than $10 downtown is quite rare. After much thinking, I remembered Viet Sub. It's a small (really small) hole in the wall sandwiched between the Beard Papa's and Kushi Box on Robson. They serve a variety of Vietnamese subs, pho and salad rolls. It's a place where you can get lunch for under $10! The salad rolls are about $2.75, subs range from $3.25 - $4.25 and pho for $6.45.

My co-worker and I ventured out from Yaletown to Robson street. It was really busy when we arrived. After placing our orders, there was barely enough room to stand inside. I ordered the Veggie Sub and a Shrimp Salad Roll.

While waiting for our orders, I saw a sign posted where if you bring your receipt into Beard Papa's, you get 10% off! Wanting some cream puffs too, I asked for my receipt.


Veggie Sub

 

Veggie Sub
Fried tofu, pickled veggies (carrots & daikon), cucumber, onions and cilantro

The sub was really fresh and good! The baguette was crispy and soft, the pickled veggies were crunchy and tasty and there was plenty of deep fried tofu! I love cilantro and I wished there was a bit more in my sub.














Shrimp Salad Roll
Shrimp, vermicelli noodles, bean sprouts lettuce,
and peanut sauce



The salad rolls were pretty average and tasted like most salad rolls at Vietnamese restaurants. I liked the peanut sauce. It wasn't too sweet and had enough peanut-ness to it.

Overall Impressions: If you're looking for a good, cheap and filling lunch downtown, this is the place to go. The food there is good and I've never been disappointed when I eat there. But one downside to this place is that it is a really small place to eat in and you will need to take your orders to go.

Viet Sub Vietnamese Cuisine
542 Robson Street
Vancouver, BC
604.569.3340
Viet Sub Vietnamese Cuisine on Urbanspoon


Beard Papa's

After receiving our food from Viet Sub, we headed next door to Beard Papa's. Beard Papa's is a pastry shop that specializes in cream puffs. They use no preservatives and the puffs are made fresh daily. The outside shell (choux) is not fried, but baked and they fill it with the custard cream when you place your order. There is the standard vanilla flavour cream puff and each day, they have an additional 2 more flavours. There are chocolate, green tea, strawberry, earl grey, mango and coffee flavours. Today, the 2 flavours are Green Tea and Strawberry.

I haven't tried the Strawberry Cream Puffs yet so I decided to get those ones and the Vanilla ones. I decided to buy one dozen to share with my other co-workers: 6 Strawberry and 6 Vanilla. One dozen cream puffs with 10% off cost about $20.

Strawberry and Vanilla Cream Puffs


Strawberry Cream Puff

What I like about these cream puffs are the light and crispy shell and the creamy filling. The strawberry one was good! There was just a hint of strawberry. But I think I prefer the Original Vanilla one. That one is still my favourite flavour. Chocolate is second :)















Overall Impressions: I love these cream puffs. They're not too sweet and is a perfect size if you want something dessert-y. And each cream puff is only 220 calories. Not too bad... considering a 
candy bar is about 218 calories.

Beard Papa's (Robson) 
548 Robson Street
Vancouver, BC

604.568.0058  
www.beardpapascanada.com 
Beard Papa's (Robson Street) on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I also reviewed Viet Sub on my blog... but I recently found out that it closed! Too bad, huh?
    I like your Beard Papa pictures... the Original is also my fave! Nothing beats classic vanilla custard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I didn't know that they're closed :( I wonder what happened to them...

    I totally agree! Nothing beats the vanilla custard at Beard Papa's! :)

    ReplyDelete