Thursday, December 23, 2010

Sushi Oyama

For my friend's surprise engagement dinner, we all decided to go to Sushi Oyama in Burnaby for some Japanese food. The restaurant is located on Kingsway (near Metrowtown) and is in some sort of house. I believe it used to be a house, then funeral home, Korean restaurant and then Japanese restaurant.

The restaurant is usually busy and reservations are usually a good idea. My friend made a reservation for 9 people and the great thing is that they do not charge gratuity for large groups! When I arrived, I was greeted quickly and was brought to the table. The table was located upstairs! I didn't know they had an upstairs area. The table was located in a small room and had just enough room to fit 9 people comfortably. Since it was upstairs, there was also a phone inside the room where we could use to get a hold of a waitress. But we didn't use the phone since the waitress kept coming up and checking on us. Great service!

Now onto the food!

Salmon Nigiri

I ordered Edamame, a Spider Roll, and various pieces of nigiri sushi. I've also taken photos of all the food my friends ate! These photos were taken so quickly... so they didn't turn out as good as I wanted :(

Appetizers

Edamame (Soy Beans)
 I love edamame! Tasty!


 Ebi Sunomono
Shrimp salad with noodles in a rice vinegar


Gomae
Spinach, sesame seeds & sesame sauce

Sushi

Various Nigiri

Left to Right: Chopped Scallop, Amaebi (sweet shrimp), Saba (mackerel) & Salmon
I ordered various pieces of nigiri sushi. 
I liked the sushi here. Relatively big pieces of sushi and also the fish tasted fresh. Not fishy at all.









                                                     Saba Nigiri                                                           Masago Nigiri

I <3 saba! Most people don't like it because they find the fish too "fishy" tasting...


Amaebi Nigiri
Sweet Shrimp (raw)


Chopped Scallop Nigiri


Smoked Salmon Nigiri


Spider Roll
Soft shell crab

Mmm deep fried soft shell crab! The rolls here are ginormous! This roll is really good! But then again, I <3 spider rolls!











Crab Dynamite Roll
Crab, avocado, deep fried prawn


House Roll
Crab, cucumber, avocado, masago (fish roe), tuna, salmon, tamago (egg)


Chopped Scallop Roll


Black Dragon Roll
Avocado & eel on top of California Roll, bonito flakes, tobiko


Other Food

Chicken Teriyaki


Beef Yakisoba

Dessert

Tartufo
Chocolate Gelato with Vanilla Gelato in the inside


Tartufo Cross Section


Mud Pie

Both the desserts at Sushi Oyama were soooo good! A must get if you're craving something chocolate-y!

And I also made cupcakes to celebrate her engagement! Chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting!

Overall Impressions: The sushi at Sushi Oyama is pretty solid! The portion sizes are reasonable and the food is tasty! Great dessert selection and the service is friendly and attentive. If you're ever in the Burnaby/Metrotown area, you should consider going there.

Sushi Oyama
5152 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC

604.568.1012  
Sushi Oyama on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment