Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Go Fish Ocean Emporium - Granville Island

My co-worker and I didn't know where to go for lunch, so we decided to wander around Granville Island to see what we could find. After walking for a bit, my co-worker remembered the fish and chips shack, Go Fish. He mentioned that that place can get pretty busy during the summer but not so much during the winter/spring season since there isn't a lot of tourists here yet.

Go Fish is located just off the entrance of Granville Island (by the docks) and it is quite easy to spot the small blue shack sitting by the water. Their menu has soups, sandwiches, fish & chips (of course!), fish tacos and daily specials which are listed on a chalkboard. The prices listed also include the HST.

Go Fish - Pick-up window
There were quite a few people there that day. Good thing that the line wasn't too long. :)
I've heard that the line could stretch out down the pathway by the water.

I ordered the 1 piece cod with chips and my co-worker just had the salmon chowder which was their soup special for the day.


One Piece Cod & Chips with Coleslaw

When I picked up my food, the first thing I thought was that there was a lot of food! The fish was a good size and there were a lot of fries!

The fish was crispy and had just the right amount of batter. The fish was flakey and wasn't dry at all which was nice. The fries tasted freshly cut and were piping hot when I got them. And the coleslaw was pretty good too. I'm normally not a coleslaw fan, but I liked this one. It wasn't overly dressed and it had a slight sesame flavour to it (sesame oil perhaps?)



Salmon Chowder

My co-worker seemed to enjoy his chowder. I didn't get a chance to try his chowder :( (even though he offered me some... I was quite full and couldn't eat anymore when he offered...)

Overall Impressions: I really like the fish and chips here at Go Fish. I liked how there wasn't a lot of batter covering the fish. I don't like it where the fish is covered in an inch of batter. I just end up peeling off the batter and just eating the fish. I didn't have to do that with Go Fish's fish which is good! I also liked how the fish wasn't dry and that the fries tasted freshly cut. The tartar sauce was also good and added some extra flavour to the fish. It's also a plus that you can get lunch for under $10 here too! I will most definitely come back here for more lunches once the weather gets nicer. Yay, outdoor lunches at Granville Island :D

Go Fish Ocean Emporium
1505 W 1st Ave
Vancouver, BC
604.730.5040 
Go Fish Ocean Emporium on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment