Monday, January 3, 2011

The One Restaurant

After an afternoon of baking at a friend's apartment, my boyfriend and I left to go get dinner. We decided to go to The One restaurant because it was close-by and my friend suggested we go try the food there.

When we arrived, I noticed that for their entrance, they had sliding/automatic doors! I've never seen anything like this for a restaurant! Imagine if those doors broke down, then no one can get in! There was a group of people ahead of us, but we were seated relatively quick and given no menus. It took us a few minutes to flag down a waitress for some menus. After looking through the menu, we decided to order a Cool Mixed Dry Bean Curd to start, I had the Eggplant and Minced Pork with Rice special and my boyfriend had the Deep Fried Chicken Nuggets with Rice.

Cool Mixed Dry Bean Curd
Bean Curd, Edamame Beans, Carrot

When the Cool Mixed Dry Bean Curd dish arrived, it looked like someone just took a handful of the bean curd and just dumped it onto the plate without a care. Quite messy looking, but it tasted fine. The neatest presentation I've seen of this dish was at Chef Hung Taiwanese Beef Noodle Restaurant.

When our dinner came, it came on a giant tray! The portion sizes here are massive! The dinner sets came with about 4 different side dishes and a large bowl of rice. The side dishes were some tofu, scrambled eggs with onions, daikon radish with pork and green peppers & chicken in some sort of black bean sauce.

Eggplant and Minced Pork

 Close-up of the egglplant

The eggplant dish was pretty average. Tasted like most eggplant with minced pork dishes that I've had before. This dish was a bit spicy, but overall not too bad. What I liked about this dish is that it isn't too greasy.


Deep Fried Chicken Nuggets with Rice

 Close-up of the Chicken
Mmmm look at that deep fried basil!

We both liked the chicken nuggets. There was plenty of meat (which is good because most of these chicken nugget dishes have more batter than chicken...) and it was relatively well seasoned. I didn't think it was too salty which is good too because most bubble tea places make this dish too salty... One thing I really like is the deep fried basil! It's sooo good with the chicken and by itself.


Side Dishes
The side-dishes were okay too. I didn't really like the scrambled eggs with the onions because there were too many onions and it didn't taste that good.
More side dish pictures:


Overall Impressions: The food at The One was alright. I had bubble tea here before and really liked the drinks. The one thing about this place is that they have really big portions! I had to take home my dinner and my boyfriend was struggling to finish his (and he usually eats a lot!). The service here is like most Chinese places where you will need to flag down a waitress for everything! From getting menus to ordering and to getting re-fills on tea. I will most definitely come back here for the drinks and the chicken... as for the rest of the food, I might give this place another chance when I'm really hungry!

The One Restaurant
5908 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC
604.569.1866
The One Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment