Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Flying Tiger

I won a $75 gift card to Flying Tiger through a Tourism Vancouver Dine Out Vancouver Facebook contest.   They serve pan-Asian street food, and the menu looked enticing so we decided to try it out.

The restaurant is very modern looking, with dark finishes and an open kitchen.  We were greeted and seated immediately upon arriving.




We ordered four dishes to split between us, as all of the items on Flying Tiger's menu seemed designed to be shared.

First up was the Roti Canai:

Roti Canai
 Malaysian fry bread, Malaysian yellow curry

I thought the texture was nice and chewy and the flavour was good, but my girlfriend thought it was a bit too sweet.

Next up was their Szechuan Green beans:

Szechuan Green beans
Wok-seared green beans, garlic, shallots, sweet soy chili

The green beans were really nicely cooked, super crispy and fresh tasting.  The sauce had a nice kick to it.

Our two main dishes were:

Grilled Korean Kalbi Ribs
48-hour marinated beef short ribs,Korean chili, sui-choy kimchee   


Hawker Street Noodles
Fresh egg noodles, shiitake mushrooms, free run chicken, wild sea prawns, 
squid,snap peas, gailan, nam prik pao, oyster sauce, crispy garlic

The short ribs were some of the best I've had.  Super tender and really tasty.  The kimchee was ok, not great.  The street noodles were a bit disappointing.  They'd been advertising them outside, and I'm a huge fan of fried noodle dishes, so I had high expectations.  However, this dish ended up being a bit bland and not overly interesting to eat.  I think using crispy noodles would've helped a bit, but overall, this dish needs a reworking. 

These four dishes came to just under $50, which left us a bit more on my gift card for another visit!

Thanks to Tourism Vancouver for the gift card!  

Overall Impressions: The food at flying tiger is pretty good.  The ingredients seemed fresh and the service was friendly and knowledgeable.  The food is a bit sweeter than you would typically find at an Asian restaurant, probably to cater more to the Western palate, but that bothered my date more than it did me.  I would like to go back again for more short ribs, and to try a few more of their menu items!

Flying Tiger
2958 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
604-737-7529
Flying Tiger on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. lol is there any place you've been to yet that you *wouldn't* go back to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I guess I would go back to give it a second chance if I didn't like something there. Gotta give it a fair chance =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this a 'tired' restaurant (not sure when it opened)? Also noticed that 2 people cost <$50, sounds like I could take 4 friends for ~$75.

    Sounds comparable to Chong Qing, where rude service was offset by the good food. This place sounds like it could have the opposite, with good service and so-so food.

    ReplyDelete