Monday, November 14, 2011

Suika - Lunch

Suika ("Watermelon" in English) is the sister restaurant to Kingyo. I've always been a fan of Kingyo and couldn't wait to try Suika. The restaurant is located on West Broadway and Fir and is open for both lunch and dinner. For lunch, they have a variety of lunch sets and for dinner, the dishes are more izakaya-like, small tapas dishes that people can share. I have been here for both lunch and dinner and I prefer the lunch over the dinner.

My co-workers and I really like this place and we frequently come here for lunch when we are craving Japanese food. Reservations are recommended for lunch and dinner as this restaurant fills up quite quickly. Without a reservation, you'll be waiting for about 20 minutes or so for a table for 4 people. The prices here are about average for lunch and a bit more for dinner. The food is great and you get a lot of it at lunch. All the dishes at lunch come with a miso soup, a small side dish and rice. For dinner, the plates are definitely smaller, but there is a lot more variety of things to try.

Fresh Ginger Ale
This is my favourite drink here and I always order it! It's refreshing, made from fresh ginger and not overly sweet.


And again, I forgot to bring my camera with me and ended up having to take photos on my iPhone. Some photos may be slightly blurry >__<

Complimentary Starter Green Salad
All of the lunch specials come with a complimentary starter green salad.

My Ebi-Mayo
Deep fried cilantro batter prawns with chili mayo

I would say that this is the best deep fried prawns I've had. The prawns were big and the batter was light and crispy. If you love prawns, you should try this dish.











Aburi Hiramasa Carpaccio
Hiramasa, mayonnaise, and parmasan cheese, seared and served with sesame dressing

Hiramasa is a yellowtail amberjack fish which is similar to Hamachi. The fish is lightly seared and the taste reminds me of hamachi.

I found the sesame dressing too sweet and overpowered this dish a bit.








Hamburg Steak Set with Cheese
Homemade hamburg steak served on a hot plate with soy or teriyaki sauce.

When this dish arrives, the servers will set up a newspaper wall around the hot plate and will then pour the sauce on top. Hearing the sizzling and the smelling the sauce always makes me want to dig into this dish right away. But I always have to remember that I need to wait a bit before I end up burning myself.

The meat is tender and the potatoes just soak up the sauce and is great with rice.




Double Tonkatsu Set
Deep fried pork loin cutlet, using homemade bread crumbs (panko). Served with 2 kinds of sauce.

This is a lot of food! 2 pork cutlets, rice and miso soup. If you're really hungry, this is the dish to order!

The breading is not too much and it's light and it comes with a teriyaki dipping sauce and soy and daikon sauce. The mortar and pestle is used to grind up the sesame seeds before pouring the teriyaki sauce over it.


Happy Kids Combo
Mini hamburg, deep fried prawn with tartar sauce, Suika select sausage, hayasi rice, omlette, yogurt drink and a "toy"

This dish is the best if you want have a little bit of everything. And it's quite a lot of food too. I really like the hot dog just because it's in a shape of an octopus :D










Ebi-Chili Tartar Bowl Set
Szechwan style chili prawns, tartar sauce, and scramble egg on rice.

The prawns are quite big and this rice bowl is slightly spicy and does have a bit of a kick to it. The tartar sauce is interesting.. it does help cool the spiciness.











Ox-tail Miso Ramen
Braised ox tail and noodles in a miso broth topped with dried fish powder and scallions

When I saw that they have an ox-tail ramen, I really wanted to try it and finally did when the weather got colder. The broth is full of beef flavour and the ox tail is tender and the meat just falls off the bones. The noodles are cooked just right and have a nice texture to them. I will most definitely order this again when I want some ramen. The one thing about this dish that I didn't like was that it was a bit oily and I had to skim off some of the oil before I could eat this.



Overall Impressions: Great food and atmosphere. I think I almost tried everything off their lunch menu and everything I've had here has been really good. The staff is friendly and the restaurant is fairly large and can accommodate large groups.

Suika
1626 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC
604.730.1678
http://www.suika-snackbar.com/
Suika on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment